Canadian Transplant Games
Since 2000, the Canadian Transplant Games have been a showcase for transplant recipient from across the country to enjoy the competition and camaraderie while celebrating a second chance at life.
These national games are Canada’s largest organ & tissue donation awareness event and purpose of the games is to:
- Increase organ & tissue donation in Canada and beyond
- Demonstrate the active and healthy lifestyle that may be achieved following transplantation
- Promote the success of organ donation and transplantation
- Offer hope to the thousands of Canadians on transplant wait lists
- Provide an opportunity to thank donors and donor families for their precious gift of life
- Raise awareness and educate, and encourage the public to consider organ donation
- Create a Games environment that is built on the contributions, skills and collaboration of community volunteers, corporate sponsors and all levels of government
- Leave a legacy of volunteerism, community spirit and organizational development that will have a lasting value to all involved
The Canadian Transplant Games, held every two years, is a family oriented event. In addition to the competition for recipients there are activities designed for family members and other supporters. The games are usually 6 days in length, and include Opening Ceremonies and many special events throughout the week, a donor/donor family recognition, and Closing Ceremonies followed by a Gala dinner and dance.
Previous Canadian Transplant Game
2014 Moncton, New Brunswick
View Results 2012 Calgary, Alberta
To see our image gallery from the games, click here.
View Results 2010 Quebec City, Quebec
View Results 2008 Windsor, Ontario
View Results 2006 Edmonton, Alberta
2002 St. John's, Newfoundland (no records)
2000 Sherbrooke, Quebec (no records)
2016 Canadian Transplant Games, Toronto, Ontario
August 8 - 13, 2016
Types of sports: Bowling, Lawn Bowling, Badminton, Table Tennis, Tennis, Swimming, Golf, Cycling, Road Race (5km), Race Walk, Track and Field… and more! (see list)
The games are competitive but inclusive of all levels of abilities for organ transplant recipients of all ages. Entry is open to recipients of life supporting allografts and hematopoietic cell transplants from other individuals or species which require, or have required, the use of immunosuppressive drug therapies. (Organs transplanted include kidney, heart, liver, lungs, and bone marrow) Competitors must have been transplanted for at least 1 year, with stable graft function, be medically fit and have trained at the events in which they have entered. If a potential competitor has been transplanted for at least 6 months, with stable graft function, has been training and has permission from his own doctor, his/her entry may be considered by the CTA medical committee and be allowed.
These Olympic style games are 6 nights/7 days, in length, and include: Opening Ceremonies, Family and Cultural events throughout the week, an event recognizing Donors and Donor Families, Olympic style sport events, Closing Ceremonies followed by a Gala dinner and dance. The registration fee includes the athlete’s village, (accommodations and most meals), local transportation, athletic event participation, and social events.
To Register and for more details go to the Games Website.